Xfer Records Serum ~ Course Overview
So who is this course for? Well, whether you're a beginner learning your very first synth or you're an intermediate to advanced sound design practitioner looking to add another weapon to your arsenal, there is not doubt in my mind that this course will bring you value.
The course is made up of 37 lessons in total ranging from around 5 to 30 minutes each. In these lessons, I'll walk you through every. single. parameter. giving you detailed digestible information, practical use cases for each parameter and a ton of useful knowledge that goes beyond what the manual can offer.
Specifically we’ll be cover the following:
In the Making Sound section we'll learn how to make sound by taking advantage of...
1) The Wavetable Oscillators, which will allow us to make sound by practicing wavetable synthesis
2) The Sub Oscillator which will allow us to make sound by added a complimentary low end
3) The Noise Oscillator which will allow us to make sound by playing samples right within Serum itself.
In the Shaping Sound section we’ll learn how to shape our existing sounds by taking advantage of...
1) The voicing and portamento module which will allow us to shape our sound from note to note
2) The wide selection of filters, which will allow us to practice some subtractive synthesis
3) The top notch selection of effects, which will allow us to completely transform our existing sound and practice what I consider the other half of sound design
4) The Serum FX VST, which will allow us to apply a handful of Serum’s features as an effect to any sound source we desire.
In the Modulating Sound section we’ll learn how to modulate our existing sounds by taking advantage of…
1) The Envelopes which will allow us to shape the amplitude structure of our sounds, among other things
2) The LFOs which will allow us to create some rhythmic repeating modulations for our sounds
3) Our MIDI Note Velocity & MIDI Note Pitch which will allows us to modulate each note a bit differently
4) The Macro controls which will allow us to create some manual modulation by way of automation in our DAW
5) The Mod Wheel & Pitch Bend which will allow us to use some additional modulation & modulation of our pitch
6) The Mod Matrix which will allow us to take complete control over all of our modulation connections
And lastly, in the Advanced section we’ll learn how to use all of Serum’s advanced features by taking advantage of….
1) The Global Tab which will allow us to customize Serum-wide settings and preferences
2) The Main Menu which will allow us to do a handful of important tasks throughout our workflow
3) The ability to create custom presets which will allow us to save and share our favorite sounds that we create in Serum for later use.
4) The ability to create custom wavetables which will allow us to save and share our favorite wavetables we create in Serum for later use. This includes 4 in-depth lessons covering the Wavetable Editor's Big Wave Display, Menu Bar, FFT Area & Formula Parser. As well as 2 additional lessons explaining how to import audio and render and resample our existing patch.
My overall goal in creating this course is to provide you with enough knowledge so that YOU can experiment within the domain of Serum without ANY limitations when creating original sounds for your OWN productions.
By the end of the course, you'll not only be a Serum Ninja, but you'll also be equipped with a handful of sound design skills that you can apply in just about any other synth.
Hopefully this Serum tutorial is helpful. Good luck with your music production & sound design endeavors! And as always... RTFM! :)
Watch Full Playlist HERE